Job Announcement: February 12, 2017
Position Title: Policy Manager or Policy Director (depending on experience)
Reports To: Senior Policy Director
Terms: Full time, available immediately
About the Efficiency Council:
Come join a clean-energy non-profit! The California Energy Efficiency Industry Council (Efficiency Council) is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit corporation representing the energy efficiency and demand response industries. The Efficiency Council’s mission is to support energy-efficiency and demand-response policies, programs, and technologies to create sustainable jobs, foster long-term economic growth, develop stable and reasonably priced energy infrastructures, and drive environmental improvement. The Efficiency Council was formed in July of 2009 and currently has over 70 companies as members. For more information, visit our website, www.efficiencycouncil.org.
About the Position:
The Efficiency Council has an immediate opening for a highly motivated policy specialist. We are interested in an individual who has an energy efficiency or demand response background, and is very familiar with California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) proceedings and California Energy Commission (CEC) activities. Exposure to legislative processes and other behind the meter technologies is a plus.
The Policy Manager or Policy Director (depending on experience) is responsible for executing a portion of the Council’s policy work in energy efficiency and demand response. This person will be working closely with our current Senior Policy Director as a team to represent the Efficiency Council in proceedings at the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), California Energy Commission (CEC), California Independent System Operator (CAISO) and other key agencies, such as the California Air Resources Board (CARB), as needed. The Policy Manager or Director could also work with our legislative advocate, depending on experience.
Policies will be developed in collaboration with the current Senior Policy Director, Executive Director, Board, Committees, and dedicated members as appropriate.
The Policy Manager or Director will serve as liaison, along with other staff, to the agencies mentioned above, as well as to local governments, and energy-, consumer-, and environmental-groups. The successful candidate will digest member and committee input, attend forums, summarize meetings and documents, develop and draft our position papers and comments and represent the Council’s members as a key stakeholder.
In addition, the Policy Manager or Director will support member services, such as writing articles for our newsletter and the web site. They will support our bi-weekly Policy Calls, and help develop ideas for webinars, conferences and events. They will assist in member recruitment, and help the Board, Executive Director and current Senior Policy Director to develop the strategic direction of the organization. This position represents an entrepreneurial, challenging, and enjoyable opportunity in a very meaningful industry for the right individual.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop Council policy positions in collaboration with the organization’s leaders and members.
- Represent and advocate for Council policy positions and interests in agency and legislative forums. Summarize meetings and workshops.
- Build relationships with, and serve as liaison to key stakeholders in the behind-the-meter energy community.
- Support member recruitment and retention, including responsibility for some key accounts.
- Support member services, including articles for the Newsletter and website, supporting Policy Calls, and generating ideas for webinars and events.
- Work collaboratively with members, Board, committees and Executive Director.
- Help set the strategic direction of the organization.
- Miscellaneous research projects and other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Core Competencies
The below requirements are for the Policy Manager position. Candidates with significantly more experience directly in this field could be considered for a Policy Director position.
- An extremely friendly and professional approach to interaction with colleagues, the Board of Directors, and Member companies. We want to deliver superior service to our members.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in business, public policy, engineering, economics, natural resources, or other relevant area.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a business, agency, public policy and/or non-profit.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities.
- Superior organizational ability and self-motivation — experience working remotely is a plus.
- Superior writing skills – we communicate frequently by writing comments.
- Ability to travel within California to attend events and conferences as required.
- Knowledge of energy policy, and specifically of the energy-efficiency or demand-response fields, is strongly preferred.
- Complete command of Microsoft office suite.
Location and Compensation
We are a remotely working team, so the best candidate will have previous experience working remotely. However, the ideal candidate will be located in the Bay Area, since they will need to be at many forums in San Francisco on a weekly basis and in Sacramento occasionally. In addition, we envision the Manager or Director meeting with other staff members offsite in the North Bay, or SF/Oakland, three or four times a year. Compensation depends on experience. A full benefits package is provided.
Interested candidates should send a resume with a cover letter explaining their capabilities, desired salary, and available start date, to email@example.com by February 27, although the position is open until filled. No phone calls please. Please reference where you saw this posting in the cover letter.